Monday, October 15, 2012

The Hardest Job

It wasn't exactly a fall from grace. Two weeks ago, I was offered a new position in a new department that essentially was a promotion. I took it. After all, I came into this agency to move up and the opportunity was mine to do so. Like my new supervisor told me, they'd be taking a chance on me. A chance that ended up being a bad idea. For both of us. 

You see, last week, my daughter became sick. It wasn't horrible, but she was definitely not feeling well. So I kept her home. That was Thursday. Also, my first week at this new position. Friday, I was at work. My new supervisor spoke with me candidly. She said she was confident of my abilities, but was worried about me being out on the first week. A legitimate concern. Then came the phone call from my daughter's day care after they picked her up from school. "She is one sick puppy." Said one of the day care providers. "Okay," I responded. I was on my way to pick up a child with a temperature of 102.5 degree Fahrenheit. I picked up my son first (he goes to a different day care for medically fragile children nearby) so as to not expose the kids there and less than a mile away, I picked up my daughter then promptly took her to her pediatrician. They found no strep, no infection, just tonsils a little red around the edges, gave her acetaminophen for fever reduction and sent us on our way with notes to return to school and work on Monday. 

The weekend went fine and without a hitch.I even took her to a movie, out for ice cream (doctor's orders), and then to run an errand before we picked up my son at day care. Sunday, we all relaxed and only went out once to run an errand. She was acting like her ornery little 5 year old self. Everything seemed back to normal. That evening, Sunday, I gave her cough medicine she had been prescribed last year to help her sleep. It didn't help. She was up at one with a horrible cough. It sounded like croup. I managed to get her to sleep until 3 A.M. when she finally woke up with it even worse. I stayed up with her, giving her liquids, Popsicles, more ice cream, you name it. She had it all. She was miserable, lethargic and in pain. There was no way I could send her to school, day care or have anyone else watch her. So what was I to do? I had to make a decision. That decision was to keep my sick little girl home so that I could take her in to her pediatrician once more. 

I was originally going to take my son in to day care until he started exhibiting the same symptoms. My phone calls went like this: Pediatrician for both kids, work, day cares, transportation, schools. I managed to get them in at 10:30 and 11:00. But before I went, I called my new supervisor. She informed me that it wasn't working out and that she was going to do her best to make this a graceful transition back to my old job. My old supervisor, poor thing, did not seem thrilled. Not sure why. She's a sweet, down to Earth woman, but she's also a boss. A position I would dread to be in if I were them. Difficult decisions need to be made daily, and these women handled it well. I'm proud and humbled to be able to work for them. They are truly exemplary. As for me? I'm back to my old position as of Monday and have now "technically failed probation" making me ineligible to promote again. Maybe in another year? In an economic tumultuous time we are in, I'm just grateful I still have a job.

As far as my poor monsters go, it was croup. Ameli got a steroid injection (not fun) and Pablito got a 5-day prednisole prescription to get in front of this illness. Lots of homemade veggie soup, Popsicles, and rest are on the menu for tonight and tomorrow. Then it's back to my old new job on Wednesday, until I start anew at my old job Monday. One thing is for sure, being a parent, it doesn't matter. I'd do it all over again. I'd go work as a cashier if I would have lost my job permanently. I don't care. All that will ever come first for me is my family and I knew this when that first pregnancy test came up positive.They say that the hardest job is that of a parent. 'Tis true. And so is the cliched follow up that it's the most rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment